Friday, April 01, 2011

Doctor mamma - being me and trying to rid my writer's block ... pardon me my dear guinea pigs!

They say a baby changes your life - well! I can see that now ... for a woman it is very challenging to be the perfect mamma and to sprint ahead in one's career track. The best way to do it is I guess have your work life and mamma life riddled with imperfections. At times, you feel 24 hours is just not enough ...

Today I was walking in the woods and I heard and then looked up and saw a woodpecker pecking - it made me pause and smile and wonder if my son would get the time to stop and admire the natural splendors around him ... well, if genes play a role, he should grow up to be a nature lover - I hope it is a dominant gene though or else chances are he won't grow up to be one - you know why ;)

This year that I spent at home with my baby after PhD-ing for 4 years gave me a second PhD (honorary) in baby rearing and nutrition ... I tried exotic stuff starting from forbidden black rice to amaranth to lancinato kale and trumpet royale - go figure what that is - in addition to traveling to a new state in my native India - Rajasthan - the adventures in Rajasthan call for a new anecdote though, so don't get me started ...

I am very choosy when it comes to who I work for, or rather, work with - well, in a small town like West Lafayette that does not pay off very well. Also, since I wanted to give my little Shayok wholesome attention in his starting years, especially because we have family about 9000 miles away, I did put my undivided mothering stint on my CV and, well, if a company finds that to be working against me, I am better off not being hired. I think I am now ready to move on in life judging from how independent my little champ is growing up to be, he wants his mamma to "grow up" and gain speed ...

I am an optimist and a perfectionist and I now feel I am ready for a new beginning, a new beginning where I jump start my wagon and oil my engines and let the journey begin all over again - the journey to embrace my dreams jolted by cayenne and cumin and whatever else flows in my adrenaline-laden vessels ... Bon Voyage!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel extremely proud of you. You are a born leader and a winner, don't let trifles perturb you or any hurdles to dampen your energy.